Monday 19 February 2024

Painting update #3 - Epic ECW

Partn3 of my recent painting update....


More additions to my Covenanter figures... these started with the freebie sprue that came with Wargames Illustrated last year and, thanks to some donations from friends and some cheap buys on eBay, I now have a decent army with around 9 or 10 battalia plus some artillery, cavalry and dragoons, all for a bargain price.  





They're very nice to paint and the blocks of 10 figures on a base gives a good impression of depth.  The 'Epic' scale works well and is apparently a good match for Peter Pig figures.  I'm working through the sprues, as well as a box of ECW cavalry and some more generic ECW infantry who will do for opposition .  Unfortunately the Highlanders that I'd need for Montrose only come in the rather expensive box set but I understand these will be available separately later in the year, and possibly another WI freebie


6 comments:

  1. Nicely done. You can also check out Steel Fist miniatures as they are an excellent match

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll have to check them out.

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Did you black prime these? I'm curious about the painting and basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In usually use a grey undercoat, with a quick dust of white to pick out detail. After painting I use a brown ink wash (down to my last drops of the old Citadel ink wash!) and then touch up any bits I want to be a bit brighter as the wash can make the figures quite dark.
      The Warlord figures come with a standard base which 2 ranks of figures slot into. I add some Vallejo basing texture and a bit of static grass

      Delete
  3. You've done a much better job of these than when I tried to paint a freebie sprue.

    Oh, and you can get the original GW brown wash in the Coat D'arms range from me.... Hint Hint

    ReplyDelete