Saturday 5 March 2022

Varus loses another legion

 A great Command and Colours game this week using Anthony's lovely 54mm figures.  We played C&C with some modifiers to sort of merge it with DBA which worked really well: the mechanics were all Command & Colours but the unit classifications, terrain set up etc were based around DBA.


I got to choose the terrain (seemed fair as the evil Romans were invading my homeland) and opted to place as many woods as I could to screen them from the Romans.



We ended up with a battle.fought mainly on both flanks with the centres staying pretty static.  I was lucky to have a couple of cards which meant I could mobilise most of the right flank.  The German warbands gathered in the woods and then charged out forcing back and quickly destroying the Roman opposition.

The Germans gather in the forest.


Unfortunately over on the other flank the Romans were doing much the same to me!  It looked like I was about to lose my left flank and my camp so I pushed on with my attack on the right and the survivors of my left flank charged past the flanking Romans, heading straight for the Roman commander who was isolated on his own.  A very lucky dice roll saw him killed and gave me the final flag I needed for victory.... no triumphal parade for Varus I think...

The doomed Roman general

The German warbands stream forward as the Roman flank collapses




2 comments:

  1. An interesting mix DBA and C&C. I like the look of the game. Sounds like you both had an enjoyable time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 'Hermann the German' enjoyed it the most:) Joking aside, using the DBA army list and terrain choice system makes it much easier to play a head-to-head game when you don't want to play a historical scenario. The DBA amendments can be found on the CC:Ancients website and are well worth trying out.

    ReplyDelete