Sunday 27 December 2020

Xmas Swag

 

Like everyone we've had a very subdued Xmas this year.  Normally we'd be up in Glasgow but, for the 1st time in almost 20 years we've stayed home.  Actually it's been really nice...we've pottered about with the dogs, eaten what we liked (the Glasgow lot are all very fussy so we've been able to gorge on Xmas pudding, marzipan and no turkey without feeling guilty) and played an assortment of boardgames (I'll post about those separately)


Santa brought me a couple of gaming related things...


Firstly a copy of the Paperboys version of Little Wars with fantastic 54mm paper soldiers drawn as always by Peter Dennis.  The 'Red and Blue' armies included are effectively British and French but there is a download available for Prussian soldiers, so a 54mm Franco-Prussian game could be easily manageable.  Even better, the book includes some very impressive Martian Tripods for the soldiers to fight with their paper artillery.


My other pressie was a set of Gripping Beast Dark Age Cavalry.  These are going to be the start of an Arthurian project.  I've always fancied doing this and remembered I have a load of Saxons (and Vikings) which I've used for Saga.  Technically these are Late rather than early Saxons and some purists may quibble but I reckon one hairy warrior looks much like another and they'll pass muster.  
 

I hope you all got the toys you were hoping for and had a decent Xmas in the current circumstances.

6 comments:

  1. The start of a new project for a new year is perfect! I look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My projects are usually pretty slow but if the lockdown continues it might spur me into getting in with it.

      Delete
  2. Great swag. The paper boys book is great , I have it and have looked at the tripods with anticipation too...
    Arthurian rules, any further thoughts re rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of using Dux Brittanarium or Dux Bellorum but I also quite fancy doing small scale Arthurian skirmish with a fantasy edge and Song of Arthur and Merlin would be good for that.

      Delete
  3. Nice haul. I got 28mm marines and a 28mm Rubicon sherman M32b1... Enoy your build.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Rubicon models look very nice.

    ReplyDelete