Sunday 19 May 2019

Paper Culloden 1746




A couple of weeks ago we fought the latest of the Jacobite Wars games using the Paper Soldiers armies...as we've fought Falkirk a couple of  times now, using Black Powder and the rules that come with the army books, we decided a change of scenery was called for and relocated the action north to Culloden.

I've been to Culloden a couple of times, most recently back in 2013, and even today it's a fairly bleak place...




I'd written about this at the time and the post is here.  In the post I talked about gaming this period,,,nice to have finally done it even if it took me 6 years to get round to it!

We returned to Black Powder for this game.  The battle starts with the Jacobite lines at an angle to the Government troops and with some extra boggy ground in the way on the left flank.




Over on the right flank the Government had some cavalry and militia on my flank in an enclosure



I attempted to block this off by swinging the end of  my line round to face them and marching the French troops up to support.  As usual in Black Powder the game was full of brigades refusing to advance and the occasional blunder.


The French look much smarter than the Highlanders with their fancy uniforms!


I tried pushing the left flank forward over the boggy ground which they eventually managed but it took several turns to get there.







I'd expected the Government troops to hold back and wait for the Highlanders to come to them but my opponent Andrew was having none of it and steadily advanced to me instead. Over on the right flank the Govt Horse and Militia made short work of the Jacobite and French troops facing them and I was suddenly opened up to a flank attack.

In the middle it was going a bit better... some of the attacking Jacobite had managed to break through the government lines but the battle in the bog on the left was going badly and the whole battle became very fragmented...not the neat charging battlelines I'd hoped for!

As both flanks caved in I conceded the battle...when we counted up defeated units it was actually quite close but the government start with an advantage in numbers and I simply couldn't afford the losses I'd taken


Great fun but I've still to see the Jacobites actually win a battle!


7 comments:

  1. Good stuff! I enjoyed tghe battle report inter-mixed with actual battlefield photos. Maybe in the next outing the Jacobites can grab a victory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. Good use of the paper format. Looks very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jim...they were a great project. Of course now I'm looking at the next one :)

      Delete
  3. Nice report. It looks pretty good for paper forces as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Paper Soldiers sets are really effective and a good, cheap way to try out a new period.

      Delete
  4. I have to say Alastair your paper armies look even better than I remember!

    ReplyDelete