Friday, 7 August 2026

Airfix Britons on the paint table

 I've been on a bit of a roll with painting recently with some ECW Epic Highlanders and Lucid Eye Elves on the paint table, and in a rush of blood to the head I've had a go at the 1st box (of 3) of the reissued Airfix Ancient Britons.

It's been quite a while since I've painted soft plastic figures and there were a few rookie mistakes with these.  I did remember to give them a good wash before I started but then forgot to give them a PVA undercoat which meant some of the paint struggled to adhere to the plastic.  Sorted in the end but annoying.



I also tried using Speed/Contrast paints which are pretty much my go-to paints these days.  For some of the figures this worked well... the Chieftain and the archers had enough detail for the paint to show up nicely... but some of the figures are quite 'flat' and I needed to go over these with 'ordinary' acrylics and then give them an ink wash rather than rely on the speed paints to do the work for me.






Obviously these are quite old school figures so don't have all the detail that we've come to expect in harder plastic ones so expectations need to be altered, but I was quite pleased with these.  3 boxes will give 70+ figures which should be enough for a large skirmishy style game.

No comments:

Post a Comment