Thursday 29 August 2024

Mythic Commander #2

A very long overdue game with my friend Andrew this week (actually it was more a bit of gaming and a lot of catching up!) and I dug out Mythic Commander, the boardgame produced by Modiphius.  I last played this almost a year ago so I was a bit rusty on the rules, despite some frantic re-reading over the weekend.  Luckily the rules are pretty straightforward and quick to pick up and, even more luckily, Andrew had also acquired a copy and read them more thoroughly than I had!



A quick recap (there's more info in the link above)... it's a grid based fantasy wargame using top down counters with a real sandbox approach so you can flavour the armies to suit just about any setting.  It would also work really well for historical ancient/medieval games.




In order to make it a speedy game we ditched some of the units and played with cut-down forces.  The first things we learned were that cavalry is great for making pretty devastating flank attacks, but is very brittle as we each lost a light cavalry unit in the opening turns.  The other big point is that ranged fire is pretty deadly, especially from proper archer units as opposed to smaller skirmish units like raiders and rangers... Andrew had a couple of archer units which caused devastation to a couple of my infantry bases.



There are 6 schools of magic and we each picked one without giving it too much thought. Each spell can be played once per game.  My 'Death' Mage annoyed Andrew intensely by immediately summoning up a fresh (or maybe not so fresh) unit of dead warriors who then charged across the battlefield, hitting one of Andrew's units in the rear and wiping it out and then tying up his mage in a tussle.that lasted for the remainder of the game.



By the end of the evening my army was getting pretty depleted and my Hero Commader was almost certainly about to go down in a hail of arrows so we called it a night.

It's an excellent game and one that I'm really surprised hasn't had more attention, especially from Modiphius themselves who seemed to launch it very quietly and then haven't really promoted it much as far as I can see.  We're now thinking of trying it with my 2mm Romans and Parthians or Andrew's lovely 2mm fantasy figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment