Monday 17 June 2024

Fathers Day goodies

 Father's day has just been and gone and we had a nice family day with a lengthy dog walk,a coffee and a crossaint and finished off with my son cooking me a delicious mushroom risotto. 

And I was lucky enough to receive a rather lovely boardgame from my son.




This game, from Osprey, came out in 2019 and is based on the wonderful book by Susanna Clarke... if you haven't read it then you really should!  The book is set in a Naploeonic era where magic exists and plunges the reader into a fantastic, Austen-like world where magicians mislead armies or hide forests, and battle against the Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair.

The book is so rich in depth and atmosphere that attempting to replicate it would I think be impossible.  The game abstracts this into a card hand building game, performing magical feats and attempting to gain enough points to stop the Gentleman.





As you'd expect, the components are lovely and I'm looking forward to getting this on the table.  Incidentally my son's card pretty much sums things up...


 

4 comments:

  1. Excellent gift ! I couldn’t get into the book ( probably size related, thick books can stress me) but l watched the tv adaptation with interest. There is a wee book by the same author l thought looked most intriguing but can’t recall the name.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that might be Piranesi...another wonderful book by Susanna Clarke (and a lot shorter!)

      Delete
  2. Anthony Morton18 June 2024 at 09:01

    I saw the TV series too, but also haven't read the book. I thought the TV series was very good and had plenty of atmosphere. I'm sure there are more than a few HOTT/Flintloque scenarios in there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite books - the TV Series was good but the Novel is vastly better.

    ReplyDelete