Tuesday 6 October 2020

More Gaslands

Another game of Gaslands this week against my friend Anthony.  I set up the Death Match scenario as this seems a good introduction to the game.  This scenario is based around a figure of 8 track passing through 4 gates.  We decided weapons wouldn't arm until the first car had passed Gate 2 which would give him a chance to get used to the driving mechanics.  I shouldn't have worried about that...


We'd no sooner started than his Pick-up deliberately rammed into the side of my nice Performance Car.. a pretty clear statement of intent! Having taken quite a bit of damage my car used it's speed to get out in front and hopefully out of danger.

My other car, a smaller Buggy, didn't get far either before being hit by very accurate machine gun fire from Anthony's other car with a surprising number of 6s being rolled (which add extra damage) and was wrecked before it made it to gate 2.






We'd decided to respawn with a new randomly drawn car if we were wrecked so my buggy was replaced by a motorbike who was quickly shot up by Anthony's 
Pick-up who hadn't made it very far round the course due to some problems negotiating corners.  The bike took several hits and had to use his smoke to make a quick escape.



My Performance Car had tried get ahead of Anthony's other car but couldn't avoid the HMG fire and was also wrecked just after clearing Gate 3.  We'd decided to award a point for each wrecked car and 2 points for a succesful lap (this gives an incentive for racing as well as just attacking other cars) which meant Anthony was 2 points up and had a clear run to the final gate.  

I decided to push my bike to gear 6 (which is the maximum and makes cornering a bit tricky).  The bike zoomed up behind the enemy car, taking shots at it with the rider's shotgun before pouring out smoke and spinning wildly in a last ditch to cross the line first and tie the game



Just before I could cross the line Anthony's car raced through the smoke, picking up hazard tokens in the process... the driver leaned out and with a single shot from his pistol wrecked the bike which skidded to a halt inches from the winning line!

Another great game. I'm really impressed with this as a system... easy to pick up (clearly too easy as Anthony wiped the floor with me!!!) and really adaptable.


2 comments:

  1. sounds fun - must give it another go sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very many thanks Alastair for putting on the game. I didn't know whether I would take to the game beforehand but you made learning the rules stress-free and fun. I read my first edition rules that night which reinforced the mechanics of the game in my mind, and then went and ordered the hardback edition and more tokens and templates than I'm sure I will ever need! I also picked up a few converted toy cars from ebay. I love the fact that you can have helicopters and tanks-I can see Spectrum aircraft and SPVs making an appearance in this addictive game!

    ReplyDelete