Monday 21 September 2020

The Perfect Captain website closing




I read this morning on Facebook that The Perfect Captain website is going to be closing down some time in mid-October.  I'm guessing many of you will have already come across it but if not it's well worth a look.  The site has been going for over 20 years and hosts a number of free rulesets and campaign systems covering periods from Ancient Greece to the Russian Civil War.

The site and all their downloads can be found HERE

I've played a couple of them... Ironbow which covers the Crusades and Eastern kingdoms and Red Actions which is their Russian Civil War set.  Their rules can be described as 'quirky' I guess and probably aren't everyone's cup of tea but I've enjoyed the games I've played.  They're also a great source of ideas and concepts.

Red Actions is the set I'm most familiar with... they rely a lot of counters and tokens but I always found them a great set for the RCW period and I would imagine they would be easily adaptable for  other settings (I reckon they'd make a good set of rules for VBCW games).  There's a blog post about the last Red Actions game I played (good grief... 2 years ago!!) HERE

Funnily enough the Perfect Captain Wars of the Roses rules and campaign system were discussed at our last WotR game at Eric the Shed's  the other week.  

As I said all their rules are free but the site has always supported a range of charities.  Hopefully the rules will be hosted on their Facebook group but this isn't confirmed yet.   Definitely pop by and take a look before the site disappears


3 comments:

  1. That's a bit of a shock...Blimey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the files being hosted anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Perfect Captain Facebook group has all the files I believe

      Delete