Tuesday 14 April 2020

More Lockdown painting

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well despite everything that is going on.

As I've been working a lot on my Wars of the Roses figures I decided to have a bit of variety and started on my Warlord Games WW2 Japanese.  The box comes with 30 figures and i'd hoped this would be enough to put together most of a platoon for Chain of Command but of course it isn't.  I'll need to invest in another box to make sure I have enough, especially for the hordes of knee mortar wielding soldiers.  And then of course I'll need some Command figures... and then some support weapons... and then some tanks...  It's a very slippery slope!!

The figures themselves are very nice although quite a few seem to suffer from being quite hunched over in  rather odd poses




There are 4 LMGs in the box which look rather nice


Every Japanese army needs at least one soldier charging with a sword!



I've completed a dozen so far but I do really need to get back to WotR Men at Arms or I'll be falling behind in the arms race with Eric the Shed and the other Shed Denizens!

Apart from painting I have been spending at least an hour or 2 each day in the park exercising with the dogs and trying to avoid all the other dog walkers, cyclists, runners and families who are also going stir crazy.

To get my gaming fix I've been experimenting with online games.  I picked up a copy of Lock'n'Load Tactical Digital from Steam as it was available very cheap.  This is a straight port of the boardgame onto the PC with a cheap starter set available for £4 


This only has 4 scenarios but is a good taster and more modules are gradually being released.  The game itself is very like Advanced Squad Leader in feel (although to be fair I have never played much ASL) but without the doorstop sized rulebook.  The only downside is that it is still in Early Release so there are still glitches being uncovered. 

A sample screenshot


The main one at the moment is that there isn't an obvious way to play against an online opponent...it should allow this but unless I've missed something, there isn't a way to connect so we are going to try playing this on Vassal instead..another system I'm trying to get to grips with.  I also picked up a copy of Tabletop Simulator as it was half-price (normally £14)...this is like a fancy version of Vassal as far as I can see but has the potential to allow you to play miniature games online such as Black Powder or Chain of Command.   It does seem quite fiddly and I have a lot of learning to do!!  It's a whole new world....





5 comments: