Friday 20 October 2023

First attempts at 2mm

I've been increasingly tempted to have a go at painting up some 2mm armies... not sure why but there's something impressive about seeing an army that looks like an army.  I blame seeing Mark Backhouse's demo games for Strength and Honour.

Last month I picked up an order from Warbases when I was at Colours.  These are from the excellent Antonine Miniatures range.  I'd also looked at Irregular Miniatures... their figures are based on smaller stands whereas the AM figures come in blocks.  I'll probably get some Irregular at some point to see how they compare.

Since I already had some 10mm paper Romans and Celts, I decided to go for a different theatre and have headed out East.  My plan is to build Roman and Sassanid/Parthian armies... can you tell I've been reading the excellent Harry Sidebottom books!!

Anyway, here are my first couple of efforts...

Legionaries 

Cavalry

I've enjoyed painting these and they look impressive en masse.  A handy tip on the 2mm wargames FB group (and from Mr Backhouse) was to invest in some paint pens and these have been really useful, especially on the infantry.  I have some Auxilia to paint next and then it's on to the Eastern Horsies

4 comments:

  1. 2mm's the way to go Alastair, just imagine what battles you can paint up and do yourself. Even it 6mm the next size up, you'd have to remortgage your house to buy all the figures for say Waterloo, let alone paint them! Looking forward to see more 2mm stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray... I've been really pleased with the mass effect

      Delete
  2. These have turned out very nicely. I look forward to seeing more…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More on the way once I get my finger out! By way of contrast I'm also painting some 40mm figures... a bit of a contrast!

      Delete