Tuesday 23 November 2021

Birthday books

 Yesterday was my birthday and I was given an excellent present by my son.  He's a keen fan of Folio Society editions of books... they produce really lovely editions of interesting books.  He knew I've always been a fan of historian C.V. Wedgwood and gave me this lovely set of her trilogy of books around the English Civil War/ War of the 3 Kingdoms.




Wedgwood is a great author and produced her Great Rebellion Trilogy in the 50s so it may be a little dated these days but her writing is very accessible.  She wrote a number of books, especially around 16th/17th century European history.  Her book The Thirty Years War is an incredibly readable account of a very confusing period.

These editions are really lovely things and of course there's now a real danger I could go off down an ECW wormhole!

And he baked me a lovely cake...




2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday ! , good choice of books as well .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cake, terrific books and Happy Birthday! It was Wedgewood’s tyw book that got me painting Tilly’s army in Minifigs in 25mm in the Seventies.

    ReplyDelete