Tuesday 22 June 2021

Dogfight!

 

A different game last night... Dogfight.  This is a WW1 air game  originally published by Milton Bradley back in the 60's.  The Boardgamegeek details are HERE.


The game is designed for age 10+ which puts it just about at my level!  Each player has 3 planes which move on a gridded board with some really nice artwork.  Movement is by dice and you have to move the full amount so a bit of thought is required to get into position to attack your opponent.  


Combat is also very simple... each player has a hand of cards with a Burst rating (from 1-5)... highest one wins and shoots down the opposing plane.  If you manage to attack from the side or rear the only way the opposition can survive is by playing a barrel roll or loop card which negate the attack, and in the case of a loop allow the attacked plane to become the attacker.  In order to replenish your hand of cards you need to return back to your airfield

Planes on the ground can be attacked but you have to cross the line of defending AA guns and risk the 'Archie'.  Each player has 6 planes but you can only have 2 in the air at any one time


This game was played using a specially made extra-large printed mat from Deepcut Studios with the boardgame printed onto it and my friend Anthony's lovely collection of Corgi biplanes and triplanes.  It's fair to say I was soundly beaten (maybe age 10+ was a bit ambitious!).  I only managed to shoot down one British plane at the cost of all 6 of my aircraft!.  Great fun though and it shows that a game doesn't have to be complex to be really entertaining 

10 comments:

  1. Oh my! Does this bring back very happy memories. I loved the game but usually was on the losing end of a game. But it was always great fun. your game looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never played it before but it was good fun.

      Delete
  2. I loved this game when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a game of its time...simple but good fun

      Delete
  3. A new game to me but sounds terrific fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Anthony has a cupboard full of games like this!

      Delete
  4. Great photos as usual Alastair! Glad you enjoyed the game. When I played my first game of Dogfight I lost all my planes without shooting down a single enemy, so you didn't do that bad! I have more 'deluxe' upgrades of boardgames for you to play...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful looking game and a really enjoyable description! Those Corgi models are brilliant. Real collectors items, I should say?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete