Wednesday 19 August 2020

Brittania has Landed



(nicked from Facebook!)


Just over a year ago I fell for another Kickstarter.  I know people have mixed feelings about them but I have to say I haven't had a bad experience with the few that I've backed (I've just checked and they total 8 projects over the last 6 years). Admittedly I always take the view that you will never get your game on the expected date and it may well run many, many months over the time limit but that's fine... as long as it turns up.

So last August I was tempted by the reissue of the boardgame Britannia by the Plastic Soldier Company and yesterday the nice man from UPS delivered it.  The original was designed by Lew Pulsipher back in '83 and was originally published by Gibson Games.  Different versions were then released by Avalon Hill and Fantasy Flight Games.   It's actually a game I've never played but always thought looked great.  From the box blurb...

" Britannia recreates the turbulent history of Britain from the coming of the Romans to conquest by the Normans"

Included in this edition are 210 plastic miniatures representing infantry armies, cavalry armies and leaders.  As it was a Kickstarter there is a bag of extras that were included in the deal and these include new leaders and miniatures which will distinguish each faction and miniatures to represent forts and burhs.  There is also a 2nd copy of the rulebook which is handy.

The mapboard is lovely and is double-sided.  This version of Britannia includes the 'Classic' version for up to 4 players and a faster 'Duel' version for 2 players which uses a simplified map on the reverse of the board.



Thank you Mr UPS-man


The main bag of figures

and the counters

The board...

... and the Duel version on the reverse.



The bag of extras

Some of the figures used in the game

Looking forward to this one.  I've always found the post-Roman period really fascinating and this looks like being great fun (and not overly complicated!!!).  I'll post more once I've had a chance to give it a go.


4 comments: