Sunday 26 January 2020

SELWG 2020 and a bit of telly

SELWG is one of the wargames shows I usually try and get along to...it's the one that's closest to home and usually has a good range of games and traders.  I've probably been going on and off for around the last 30 years.

So it was a shame to see this post on Facebook yesterday (the post is actually from last October so this may be old news to you but thanks to the mysteries of Facebook algorithms it only appeared on my feed yesterday!)...



... to be fair I can see what they mean about the venue.  It has been held at Crystal Palace sports centre since I've been going and split over 2 floors adjacent to the swimming pool.  The facilities all seem a bit tired and the parking seems to have been increasingly 'challenging'.  The location is great for me but I can see that SE London's lack of tubes and Sunday service on the trains could make it tricky for people to get there although attendance always seems good.

I was quite puzzled by the idea of a move to Lea Valley in North London though... it seems a bit out of their patch and would probably mean I wouldn't make the trip but if it makes it more accessible to more people I guess that's a good thing.  [Edit: with a bit thought it might not be any more of a trek than Salute is so we'll see...at least I have till 2021 to think about it!]

In other news...I'm usually way behind the curve when it comes to keeping up with the latest TV series...I still haven't watched The Wire or The Sopranos and only finally got round to Breaking Bad last year... so I'm very much 'on trend' now and saw the 1st episode of Star Trek Picard on Friday.



I have mixed experiences with Star Trek...again  I missed some series completely and when I recently re-watched some of the original series I was surprised with how badly it had aged (and not just the effects).  Picard seemed very good though and I'll stick with it.




I've also seen some of The Mandalorian which was very impressive although I was surprised at how short the episodes were.  For all its Sci-fi appearances it does seem to basically be a Cowboy series (not a bad thing)...you can almost hear the jingling spurs!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed episode one of Picard too, I will stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting news about Selwg - I would have thought NE london would be a massive put off for us chaps south of the river. Aside from Salute there really is nothing for us gamers in London (unless you want to drive all the way out to Reading.

    Looking forward to Picard

    ReplyDelete