Sunday 23 December 2018

2 sleeps to go....

I'm always on the hunt for a decent set of rules for a Star Wars setting and I have high hopes for my latest acquisition, Fistful of Lead Galactic Heroes.  I've been a big fan of their Horse & Musket version so I'm hoping these will work well for a different setting.


I managed to pick up the last issue of Wargames Illustrated the other week with the free Cruel Seas sprues.  As this game is (hopefully) turning up on Xmas day so reinforcements will be handy.  I ended up buying 2 issues to make sure I got the S Boat and MTB series.  Apparently the next issue has some more freebies.

Online discussion about the game is a little worrying.  The models look great but the rules are apparently a little, erm, rushed.  Warlord have already produced an 11 page errata!  I'll reserve judge until I've actually seen and played them (unlike several online critics I've seen) but if they don't work they'res always the excellent rule set Action Stations.



Last month I posted about the game of Blood Red Skies I'd played at the local club.  I was impressed and went out and splurged some birthday cash on the starter set. 

The components are pretty nice with a set of Spitfires and Me109s and the adjustable flight stands to mark the status of your plane.  Size-wise these look as though they won't be too glaringly different to some of my existing planes, especially if I mix and match with bombers instead of other fighters.





Anyway, I hope.you all have a great Xmas and I'll see you on the other side!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alastair,

    Ahh the old ‘but two copies of the magazine to get one of each ship model’ gambit eh? That is exactly what I did but funnily enough the local WH Smith only had six copies of the magazine - only one of which was the Vosper!

    I am STILL waiting on my copy of the game from Warlord and have also seen the rather large errata. I am looking forward to it though and am also sorely tempted by Blood Red Skies but they will be for another day methinks.

    Have a great Christmas and all the best for 2019!

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers David. My copy was under the tree this morning so I'll be doing some reading this evening I think.

    ReplyDelete