Tuesday 24 July 2018

Battle among the rocks

A rare outing to the club at Guildford last week for a 54mm North West Frontier game.

We used the Fistful of Lead Horse and Musket rules which had worked well in previous games.  As there were 3 of us this meant I ended up managing 10 Afghans while the British had 5 figures each.  I think 5 or 6 is a pretty optimum figure...beyond that it gets a bit fiddly.

I hadn't had a chance to put together a  scenario so we played a meeting engagement of equal forces. Anthony's Highlanders quickly dived into the ruined building and we spent several turns exchanging long range fire.  As the British were able to use their more effective firing to their advantage this was a bit of a mistake and, with hindsight, I should have withdrawn sooner on this flank.

The other British force, played by Mike, started the game with some startlingly effective fire, pinning or wounding several of my Pathans.  Luckily I was having slightly better luck at removing stuns and keeping my dwindling force intact.

Eventually Mike's dice ran out of luck (or the British  ran out of bullets)  and the tide began to turn.  My Afghans were busily darting from rock to rock making the most of the cover and taking potshots at the Brits.

Mikes forces were now pretty depleted and the British had finally worked up the courage to leave their shelter and advance, so the Pathans decided it was time to slink off into the hills, counting it as a narrow victory.

A better thought out scenario would definitely have helped...I find Colonial games especially have a habit of descending into a shoot out to the death unless there is a proper objective for both sides













No comments:

Post a Comment