Tuesday 19 April 2016

Unexpected Aztecs...

To people of a certain age Aztec could conjure up thoughts of this chocolatey treat....

Image result for aztec bar

..or this fine example of Postcard Records' classic 80's Glasgow Jangly guitar music....



...both of which are classics.  Apparently there was also a 15th Century Empire by the same name....



I've always been interested in the Aztec/Conquistador period although I've never done much about it gaming-wise. My only proper reading (not sure if Ladybird books count here) was Bernal Diaz's Conquest of New Spain.  My son and I were lucky enough to go to an excellent exhibition at the British Museum in 2009 which had some fascinating artifacts on show.  A few years ago I picked up a couple of boxes of the Revell 1/72 Aztecs and Conquistadors with a half-hearted plan to paint them up.  I also bought a box which had been painted up pretty well from Ebay, and I came across this while rummaging for something else in the loft.  You'll have gathered from this and other posts that my loft is a scary, disorganised mess but it does occasionally yield up pleasant surprises.  I then discovered a second box of even better painted figures which I have no recollection of buying!  From an invoice in the box I picked these up in 2009 (obviously inspired by the exhibition I'd just seen) for the princely sum of £2.75!












The question now is what to do with them.  I have a few options.  Somewhere in the loft I have a set of a Central American specific set of rules by Chris Peers.  I also have a set of Irregular Wars which include stats for Aztecs etc.  I'm more tempted however by either using the new(ish) Osprey En Garde rules or tweaking Lion Rampant.  Luckily someone else has done all the hard work for that... I came across this blog....I Live with Cats.  The blog contains a variation of LR entitled (of course) Quetzalcoatl Rampant which look ideal.

The next question is going to be do I have the enthusiasm to rebase the figures.  They are currently a mix of multiple based figures or some singly based ones.  The latter will be fine for En Garde but the multiple bases are of varying sizes so I fear some tedious re-basing is due...

3 comments:

  1. I fought Aztecs years ago under WRG, scary bunch. My mother once mentioned she had had the ceiling Aztec'd, still brings a chuckle and a tear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been interested in them since I did a school project on the Conquistadores and I bought all the Foundry figures. Sadly the full Aztec range never really materialised and then I realised how much painting would be involved so I gave up on the project having painted just one conquistador. These look ready to go though. Donnybrook has rules for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always loved the idea but got put off by my own painting ability and all those feathers.
    Off to find my High land, Hard rain album.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete