The very first 'proper' toy soldiers I remember were from a toy wild west fort that I got for Xmas... apparently my dad had wanted 1 when he was wee so I guess he finally got to play cowboys and Indians. I also inherited some Airfix 1:32 WW2 soldiers from my big cousin, along with (weirdly) some Airfix footballers.
But... the first figures I remember choosing and painting were Romans and Ancient Britons from Airfix in 1/76 scale. When I say 'painting' I think I had some enamel paints and daubed it badly over the figures (not sure my painting technique has improved that much!). I have a very vivid memory of painting these at my Granny's house during school holidays in, I guess the early 70s.
So, in a fit of unabashed nostalgia, I immediately pre-ordered when Airfix announced they were re-issuing them. The boxes arrived today. Well, actually yesterday and today since for some reason they were sent separately and in huge boxes for a small package. 3 boxes of Britons and 2 of Romans, although I can see me adding to them. Now they can join the painting queue while I think of suitable rules.




My three boxes of Ancient Britons arrived yesterday in a big box too. My dad was interested in Roman archaeology and took me to museums and Hadrian’s Wall so l picked up the “bug “ from him.. I resisted the Romans but am tempted by the m and the Fort perhaps later. As for rules l am considering dbm or the Portable Wargame Ancient Rules. I figure that if they are based in multiples rather than singles there is less chance of the paint flaking when touched . I did wonder about old school rules like Featherstone or Terry Wise. Lots to ponder on enjoyably.
ReplyDeleteAlan Tradgardland
I was going to go with multiple basing for the same reason. I was thinking about the 1 hour skirmish rules but with groups of figures rather than single figures, or maybe Infamy, Infamy from Too Fat Lardies.
DeleteMy 20mm Ancient armies include a fair number of Airfix Ancient Britons, although not the Romans. They are nice figures considering their age, although I replaced the wheels on all the chariots with spoked wheels. I just base all my figures using 25mm DBx conventions (so 60mm frontage bases). Seem to work with most published Ancient rules.
ReplyDeleteStandard basing seems like a good things... most rules these days are pretty agnostic when it comes to things like that
DeleteAbsolute classics….
ReplyDeleteI have fond memories of the conversion articles in the Airfix Magazine…
Turning US cavalry into Celts or Germans, chopping figures of at the waist and adding plasticine and tissue paper.
Mmmmm! I could almost be tempted to do that again 🤔😆
A big skirmish set of rules like Lion Rampant come to mind…
All the best. Aly
Yep... LR would be perfect!
DeleteA tempting aesthetic -
ReplyDeletehttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8TVjpBUVICE&feature=youtu.be
Excellent!!
DeleteOh I remember these well from when I was a kid (erm I still am a kid at heart). I liked the Ancient Britons better than the Romans with their separate shields. I loved the Airfix figure of both scales.
ReplyDeleteOh Wow! I had the Roman box when I was a kid! Well actually I'm still a kid now!
ReplyDeleteThey've also re-released Robin Hood set as well!
ReplyDelete